Tiffany Duggan of Studio Duggan is one of the Interior Designers behind the House & Garden Festival's Decorated Spaces styled rooms.Tiffany will create a bedroom space that is both serene and glamourous in equal measure. To read more about Decorated Spaces click here.
Tiffany has kindly written an article for the Festival's blog on how to create the perfect bedroom.
In today’s increasingly hectic world, our bedrooms should be a space of peace, tranquility and respite from the stresses of daily life.
Here are Tiffany’s top tips on how to create the perfect bedroom:
- A good night’s sleep. It doesn’t get more fundamental than this. When it come to buying a bed what works for some people doesn’t work for others, so it’s always a good idea to test your bed first. To make this as fun a process as possible, head over to Savoir Beds who will arrange for you to ‘test-drive’ a bed at one of the luxury hotels that use them, and then refund the night if you buy!
- Excellent storage is a must have in any bedroom, and there are lots of ways to get the best out of the space available if you don’t have the luxury of a large bedroom or separate dressing room. Where possible, we tend to use a chest of drawers as oppose to a bedside table - as well as providing additional storage drawers for underwear, pyjamas etc, having more surface space is always a bonus.
- For headboards, we can’t get enough of Ensemblier’s collection of playfully re-interpreted designs. It really is quite impossible to choose a favourite, and Tara’s attention to detail is second to none.
- Lighting is key to successful bedroom design. Bedrooms should be able to offer a wide range of dimmable lighting settings - bright for make-up application/cleaning, soft mood lighting, excellent task lighting for reading, as well as window treatments with full black-out capabilities. Don’t skimp on lighting within bedrooms, but do try to use as few spot lights as possible, and instead use a combination of different fittings which can be layered to create the required mood. Wall lights are an excellent choice for bedrooms and we just love these ‘Abstract’ wall lights by CTO.
- One trend we are fully behind is the breakdown of the traditionally clear division between master bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms. By viewing the master suite as a whole and adopting an open plan layout, you can create a far more spacious feel. Of course, there are times when it is necessary to have a certain amount of privacy, and this can be achieved by closing off the toilet and potentially the shower. A freestanding bath within the bedroom is a wonderful luxury and a beautiful vanity unit can be a great feature. In my own bedroom (as seen below), I have used a pair of crittall doors with reeded privacy glass to shield the toilet and shower from the open plan dressing area.
- Lastly, never underestimate the power of artwork and accessories to elevate any bedroom scheme and transform a space into something more personal. Soft linens, flowers, objet d’art, mohair throws, silk eye masks - buy the best you can afford. Some of our favourites…